
Three weeks ago, my mom mention to me that she had stopped into a pet store where she found the cutest yellow lab puppy. I did not think much of it at the time. I filed the information away because I was in the midst of keeping my cool after discovering that my dogs had just eaten my Coach sunglasses. Then last weekend, mom just happen to mentioned that the dog was still at the pet store commenting on what a shame it was that the dog was spending its puppyhood in a cage. The comment stayed with me and soon nightmares began-I could not get the dog out of my mind.
Currently, I spend most of my free time feeding, cleaning and trying to train the Ella and Layla (also named Lucky 1 and Lucky 2 by Leo's dad, Howard). I mentioned my concerns about the puppy to mom, Jimmy and Leo and they all seemed a bit doubtful -after all didn't I already have my hands full?
Wednesday, after another night without sleep and a particularly frustrating morning in meetings, I took a drive out to La Mesa to find out what was going on with this dog. I found myself in a pet store with approximately 40 cages of puppies. I found this littleyellow lab living alone in its cage and he had been there for a month after being shipped from Iowa. I asked to see the dog, who was under weight, dirty, with overgrown puppy teeth and the sweetest little face. Several people were crowded by a cage nearby that housed four new yellow lab puppies who had just arrived. Ignoring the $899 price tag on the window, I estimated how much the store had most likely spent on the dog and including its shots and I left the owner a note offering to buy the dog for a reasonable amount. I did not want to give them one dime but it seemed necessary to cover their costs.
I got home and the owner had called and accepted my offer. I called Leo ( who was once again, trying to work) and told him what I had found. Leo simply asked me what time were we going to pick up the dog. We left immediately. On the drive, I asked Leo (as I often do) if he wished for his old life back.
We got the store and Leo took one look at the puppy and headed out to his truck to get a chain saw to cut the cage open. I manage to pay for the dog before any damage was done. Ella and Layla have happily accepted the puppy. Sometimes, I think I see a little smile on Ella's face when the puppy has Layla pinned down-you know what they. The video below shows all the dogs in the courtyard.
We named the dog, Reggie, after the great baseball player, Reggie Jackson and our friend Dana (aka Reggie during softball games). Reggie is doing much better. The first night, he had his first bath and would not stop running on the grass. He immediately grabbed all the toys that overflow Ella and Layla's toy basket. After a couple of days, his teeth have worn down, he knows (but does not always remember) to pee on the grass and he loves Jimmy's Ralph Lauren comforter. He has even started a small remodeling project......
Love to all..Debbie
1 comment:
OH....MY....GOSH.... Not my fav coach sunglasses:P
So with the 3 dogs and the brat you offically have more kids than me... finally someone else for the family to talk about! LOL JK
Reggie is super cute:)
Post a Comment